Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sludge Separator in Action

This is the implementation of the "Aquaponics Sludge Separator" design from my September, 2010 blog entry.  I simplified the design as follows:
* used a rubbermaid storage container instead of building square out of plexigla
* reduced baffle plates to 1 instead of 2
* reduced oxygenators to 1 on the baffle plate only
* did not implement the water feed "shelf"
* the drains were single orifice instead of a long feeder pipe

Parts used:
* rubbermaid container
* acrylic sheet from Tap Plastics
* 1" Uniseal connectors (www.aussieglobe.com)
* 1" PVC pipe
* 7" TopFin bubble Wall wand
* DAP Household Adhesive Sealant, 100% Silicone, food and aquarium safe


Special steps.  I used silicone glue to attach the acrylic baffle to the tub.  Ensure you sandpaper the tub well and clean off prior to applying the silicone or it will not attach.

There is no need to use silicone to seal the uniseals.  They work in place.

This is a picture of the build before installation and before I put on the overflow.



Cheers!

Update 2011:04:10 I am running this setup successfully with a 655GPH pump.  The intake and output is 1" pipe.  The output is gravity only and uses a 1m drop before going to the feeder pipe.  I am feeding 3 outputs of 3/4" PVC.  I will post the aquaponics setup in the future, but am considering how to add a second feeder tank -- I don't think this separator will handle another 655GPH input.

No comments: