Monday, July 9, 2012

Second Year Tomatoes and Green Peppers

I overwintered one tomato plant and all my bell pepper plants in the aquaponics greenhouse.  This is what they looked like in May of this year (more than 12 months old).  I wasn't certain in May if the tomatoes would set fruit.  They had plenty of flowers but no fruits.



I am not actually sure if the tomato didn't eat any visitors to my greenhouse (just kidding) :-).  That is one plant.

This last weekend I harvested about 40% of the bell peppers (all the red ones, and many larger green ones). While trimming back the tomato plant I also noticed that it had set some fruit.


The smaller peppers were perfect for BBQ skewers.

Conclusion, yes overwintered tomatoes and bell peppers will yield.  The bells are yielding very well. It will remain to see at years end if the tomato yields well.  The tomato plant is certainly very healthy and is a good anchor for my water filtering needs.

No comments: