Saturday, July 14, 2012

Gazebo to Greenhouse: Update: door

On an earlier post you saw the framing of the door for the greenhouse.  Here is a picture of the finished door.

This is wrapped in pool insulating plastic which is actually not very UV tolerant, but it works fine for the door.  There is an interesting point I would like to make.  The greenhouse is really framed on the lower half with about 3/4" foam.  


The door is just plastic wrap.  I have racoons and opossums in my neighbourhood -- not many but they are here.  For some reason they don't bother trying to get through the foam -- maybe it's the foil cover on the outside? Don't know. They can obviously smell the slight fishy water that is in the greenhouse.  Well after about 8 months I did have infiltration of the greenhouse -- through the door -- they scraped back the plastic cover on the bottom and walked right in at night.  Only damage thankfully was rummaging through one of my planter bins for snails -- the creature did not attempt to get into my covered fish tank.







I put some of the insulating foam on the lower half of the door to dissuade the critters, and just for insurance also attached 1/4" wood on the outside bottom of the door -- that has kept the kritters away.





The door uses a gate latch system.











An update picture is shown here also of my 2012 tomatoe and Cee Gwa (both started from seed directly in this bin -- this is the seed starter bin).




Other posts in this series:
Pictures More Pictures
Start
Insulating and Doorway
Upper Walls
Door
Roofing

No comments: